EndPlasticSoup at the K-Fair (Plastic) 2022 in Düsseldorf
Results of a visit to the K-Fair with respect to chemical recycling.
K is the most important trade fair in the world for the plastics industry.
Within the context of the initiative of EndPlasticSoup the author, Prof. Dr. Heinz Falk, had to recherche which industrial machinery will be able accomplish the chemical recycling of used plastic and tyres at moderate throughputs (ca. 10 to/h). The visit to the fair was supported by Rotarian Carl Philip Pöpel, a manager from the KrassMaffey company. He welcomed us at the exhibition area of his company and gave comprehensive information about the fair.
Prof. Dr. Heinz Falk checked the list of exhibitors before attending the fair, in order to find those companies engaged in the field of chemical recycling of plastic waste. These exhibitors were visited and additionally the complete special “Circular Economy Forum”.
- Almost all companies claim that their business activities obey the rules of the protection of the environment and is intended reaching closed material circuits.
- The closed material circuits, realized so far, do cover only parts of the total plastic waste. An example may serve the production line operated at the fair by KraussMaffey, including the production of plastic goods, subsequent shredding and using this material for feeding the production.
- As a general limitation appears the increase of impurities while using circular processes, which causes quality reductions.
- The chemical recycling of plastic waste (in particular the pyrolysis), which would be applicable to the biggest part, is only realized in parts, meaning the initial process steps, such as sorting, cleaning and extrusion the introduction into the reactor).
- Some manufacturers of the machinery for plastic are cooperating with pyrolysis manufacturers. Up to now these undertakings are still in the prototype phase and not available as industrial products.
- BASF informed about a complete recycling plant for mixed plastic waste including pyrolysis, which was accomplished in cooperation with the company ARCUS GREENCYCLING TECHNOLOGIES GMBH, Ludwigsburg (D). This company is operating several such plants and appears as the only one discovered at the K-fair.
- The author will stay in contact with the manager responsible for the cooperation with Arcus, in order to find a support for the recycling project intended by EndPlasticSoup.
Prof. Dr. Heinz Falk
RC Kleve- Schloss Moyland