Project: Solid Waste management and Recycling in Uganda
(Global Grant 2230778)
The project addresses the solid waste pollution within the Kyaka II Refugee Settlement in Western Uganda through creating knowledge and awareness about proper solid waste management (disposal, collection and sorting) practices.
The project is building partnerships with local authorities and plastic waste recycling companies, and creates income generating and employment opportunities in the refugee settlement, thus improving the community’s livelihood and reducing health risks associated with improper waste disposal.
- Reduce –and over time eradicate –local plastic pollution.
- Enable production of plastic products made from the recycled plastic.
- Create income and employment.
- Improve living conditions and reduces risks for women, youth, and children
The project will reach 47,000 people and 9,500 households.
RC Kampala South /
Fricktal / D1980
RC Athina-Acropolis /
Partner(s): OXFAM, Adapt-Plus, UNHCR
Global Grant submitted, to be approved.
Project to start.
- Project to be started.
Global Grant submitted by RC Rheinfelden-Fricktal – Mare Nostrum EndPlasticSoup.
- Establish solid waste management groups and training
- Procure and distribute environmental cleaning tools and procure tricycles to support collection and transportation
- Construction of incinerators, procurement of plastic chipping machine and networking with plastic recycling companies
- Awareness creation, Roller bins for collection of waste and community engagements
- Procurement of extruder and briquette making machines to scale feacal/solid waste briquette production
- Branding and marketing
- Establishment of a solid waste drying green house.