Project: EndPlasticSoup – Drina – Danube Region (Global Grant 2236645)
The EndPlasticSoup – Drina project is designed to help protect, preserve and maintain the environment through the protection and restoration of freshwater and, by extension, marine water resources.
The main objective of the project is to reduce the pollution of the Drina, a border river between Herzegovina and Serbia, especially with plastic waste. (Thus also reduction of plastic waste discharge via the rivers Sava and Danube into the Black Sea).
This project is the follow on of the project CollectiX Boat Bosnia Herzegovina.
Rheingau / D1820
RC Bijeljina / D1910
Global Grant approved.
Project is starting.
In February 2021 the pilot cleanup mission started after publicity about the enormous amount of waste pollution the river Drina and blocking the dam. Since April preparations are in progress to define a Global Grant project which can serve as an example for other follow-on projects in the Mediterrenean and in East Africa.
Results of the pilot in 2021
Results of the Pilot cleanup mission in the river Drina, Bosnia Herzegovina February-March 2021:
- Successful Pilot project included testing of Artifical Intelligence measurements for sorting and source detection.
- 150K Euro Donation by Landmarken AG via RC Aachen
- Estimated 300 Volunteer hours Jan-June 2021
To reduce plastic pollution in the river Drina by using Cleanup missions with the CollectiX Boat as a Catalyst for awareness and action to improve the waste management system.
- The goal of the project is to support education to promote behaviors that protect the environment.
1a. This is done by supporting environmental education programs in schools that are aligned with the official curriculum. Target: Workshops with 250 teachers; teaching 2500 school children.
1b. Promote community-based environmental education, environmental awareness and advocacy initiatives, and strategies to facilitate engagement and behavior change, in support of environmentally sustainable living, conservation, and sustainable development. A garbage collection boat (CollectiX) will also be used as a kind of training ship for smaller groups (students, adults) accompanied by teachers and teamers from the company everwave.
- Strengthening the self-capacity of the Municipality of Bijeljina to support the management and conservation of natural resources.
- Targeted freshwater ecosystem restoration initiative. AI-controlled waste disposal on the Drina with a waste collection boat (CollektiX) The waste collection boat will be leased for the duration of the project.
Time Schedule: Till end 2025
Contact person: Dr. Ralf Thiel (mail firstname.lastname@example.org for contact details).