Rotaract MDIO’s (Multi-District Information Organizations) in Europe, Mediterranean and Oceania, jointly with EndPlasticSoup organized the webinar ‘Pollution’ on 27th November 2021.
Webinar about Pollution
Supported and joined by EndPlasticSoup, Rotaract organizations in Europe, Mediterranean and Oceania have once again started the debate about environmental sustainability after the first Climate Live webinar on 21st August. The 1st webinar included live reports about the forest fires from Rotaractors in the countries around the Mediterranean).
In the 2nd edition on 27th November we have explored one of the most important topics in the past decade – Pollution! The three Rotaract organizations are concerned about ongoing world issues and want to take action before it’s too late.
Part 1: Scientific approach for pollution:
- Gesine Meissner, UN Ocean Decade 21-30, talked on ‘Our oceans, our planet’. She will explain the importance of the UN Ocean Decade theme for 2021-2030: ‘Ocean science’, and lightened her presentation with valid information and pictures.
- Gert-Jan van Dommelen, co-founder of EndPlasticSoup, summarized the impact of microplastics on our health, on climate change and biodiversity, and the positive experiences of our planet’s recovery capability (e.g. in the Baltic Sea) giving hope for the future.
Part 2: Examples of successful Rotary and Rotaract anti-pollution Projects (ongoing or completed):
- Two EndPlasticSoup and Global Grant projects were presented: ‘Nile Plastic Free’ in Egypt and ‘CollectiX Bosnia Herzegovina’.
- Three Rotaract projects were presented, one by each Rotaract Organization.
Part 3: Panel with a.o. Marja Ritterfeld, PDG 2020-2021 of district1850, Germany and Board member of EndPlasticSoup discussed queations like:
- What Rotary and Rotaract Clubs can do to reduce pollution?
- How can we act?