Project: Cleanup river Nile
To reduce plastic pollution in the river Nile in cooperation with partner VeryNile.
RC Horus Heliopolis / D2451
RC Al Shorouk Cairo / D2451
First phase has been done: cleanup, inauguration of the Fishermen Hub and the launch of the first cleaning Boat on the Nile in cooperation with VeryNile.
Follow-on phases are being designed for cleanup actions on the Nile, awareness/education and waste management and recycling
- Fishing nets were provided to 230 fishermen families.
- 100K USD Donation by a local bank Credit Agricole.
- Estimated 200 Volunteer hours by Rotarians in 2020-2021
Reduce Plastic pollution in the River Nile and the emission into the Mediterranean by raising awareness, accelerating education and an improved waste management infrastructure.
The project’s scope will be limited to River Nile (including the other side-river Damietta Branch) in Egypt.
- Phase 1, 2020-2021: Refund system and special trailer nets for fishermen in collaboration with VeryNile, education and awareness at schools, extension of the participating Rotary Clubs in District 2451.
- Phase 2, 2021-2022: Cleanups with the boat of VeryNile, extension of the fishermen refund system, establishing of recycling, education and awareness, investigation of innovations for cleanups (e.g. Interceptor of The Ocean Cleanup), innovations and addressing ‘hot spots at the dams in the Nile in a holistic way.
- Phase 3, 2022-2023: Extension of Cleanup and Recycling capabilities at Dam locations and in Cairo, implementation of cleanup solutions, and establishing ongoing waste management infrastructure operations.