Project: Limes Bubble Barrier Katwijk
To remove (micro)plastics out of the Old Rhine before they enter the North Sea, awareness, education and monitoring.
RC Noordwijk / D1600
RC Winschoten / D1590
Partners: Coast Busters and
The Great Bubble Barrier
Successful assessment and preperation by partner Coast Busters during 2019-2021, the financial commitments have been made and the project has been approved.
Definition of the awareness and education part with involvement of EndPlasticSoup and Rotary. Tender process is being prepared t start in October 2021, Operation is planned to start in June 2022.
- In July 2021 a formal GO decision has been made.
- In 2019 and 2020 monitoring, assessment and preparations ook place. RC Winschoten launched its first Puzzle project contributing 35K euro for the project of which half is for education and monitoring.
- In March – June the remaining funds have been committed by many participating parties including a crowdfunding.
- Successful measurement and assessment.
- Funds for the project including installation, operation, education & monitoring center, and removal costs have been committed.
35K Euro Donation by RC Winschoten.
- Estimated 200 Volunteer hours in Rotary year 2020-2021
To reduce (micro)plastic pollution in the North Sea by using a Bubble Barrier system in the Old Rhine in Katwijk just before the water pup station.
The project will also implement and operate a Visitor center for awareness, education and monitoring.
Because Katwijk is the end of the old Roman border, the project is called the Limes Bubble Barrier.
EndPlasticSoup and Rotary Club Noordwijk e.o. will be participating to develop and support the awareness/education and monitoring.
- 2019-September 2021: Preparations, measurements, assessment.
- October – June 2022: Installation of the Bubble Barrier and development of the visitor center and education program.
- July 2022 and onwards: operation of the bubble barrier and the visiting center, education and monitoring.
About our partners
The Great Bubble Barrier realized the first Bubble Barrier in one of the canals in Amsterdam.The Bubble Barrier is a a screen of bubbles that blocks plastics and directs suspended plastics to the surface.
Coast Busters started as a Katwijk’s citizen initiative to clean the beaches and to prevent plastic and other pollution to flow from the Old Rhine into the Northsea.